Kitchen Chronicles: Double Island Obsession



Hi all!! I was flipping through a couple different Kitchen & Bath Design News periodicals just to catch up on some reading and see what's new, and I saw something I've literally never seen before in one of the magazines. I have no idea why I didn't know about double island kitchens before!! I was definitely in love when I saw the picture and was like, "Ooohhh-myyy-goossshhh....who came up with this concept?!" I'm sure by now you're wondering if I've been living under a rock, but I'm just glad that I know about it now and can share with you guys too.

                                                                                                                                                              
                                                                                                                                                              


Ok so here are my top 3 reasons I absolutely adore double island kitchens:

1. More space!
There's going to be lots more space to prepare foods, make drinks, and a double island kitchen is just an overall better idea when you want to have more people in the kitchen either to help prepare or to just sit around and eat or talk.

I truly wish I can transform my parents' kitchen into the one on the left because we have a pretty large family, and we tend to gather in the kitchen (Trinidadians love to cook, eat and talk), so this is an oh-so-perfect solution to our kitchen crowding problem.

2. Symmetry achieved!
Some people really like the thought of having furnishings symmetrical in their home; I'm almost sure it's even part of feng shui. I personally like the look of furnishings being symmetrical because it can sometimes create a better flow for the eye to follow throughout the room.


3. Better use of empty space!
How cute is this kitchen to the right?  ----------->>
Typically, in kitchens with larger surface areas, designers tend to fill the space by adding a breakfast nook or by placing a breakfast table with a couple chairs. I think that using the dual island concept is a way better idea to fill empty space.

Not only will you have a breakfast station within the space, but you will now have one that actually looks like it belongs in the kitchen!





I really can't get enough of this double island concept and even though I don't plan on having a huge family, I can see myself wanting this really badly for my home. Hopefully my parents read this and decide to get it for their kitchen so my wish of enjoying dual islands can be granted :)

Thanks for popping by!

With gratitude,
Safiya Jamila

Photo credit: Image 1, 2 & 3