Deep In The Roots...

Hi everyone,

I've been listening to a lot of modern African music...I thought it out and I think it's because it reminds me a lot of Trinidadian music. But nonetheless, I love the music, and one of my close friends is actually from Nigeria so I totally enjoy everything Nigerian from the food to the modern clothing. So in relation to my African obsession right now, I put together some African styles that I really like right now.

I don't like very literal or themed rooms, I like the rooms to have a mix with contemporary and modern styles. This is just my preference, I know many people may like seeing rooms filled with animal prints and original African souvenirs, but I like that aspect of design to be very minimal. The rooms that I chose for the board are African-contemporary with a bit of modern fashion. Enjoy!

PS. I totally apologize for not being current with my posts the last couple of weeks, but I'm definitely back on track now :)


As I stated before, and as you can see in the images, the rooms are not like the typical 'themed' rooms. They do say 'Africa', but in a very subtle way. The colors are all gorgeous together -reds, blues, yellows, browns- with the contemporary wooden furnishings. The lighting pendant and mirrors in the 1st image are amazing and definitely have the African flare that I love. I love that the mirrors were placed in symmetry and are able to bounce light around the white walls of the dining area. The dark wood flooring gives the room a very sophisticated finish which blends well with the lighter colors throughout to space; it also helps ground the eye after looking at all the room has to offer.

The only thing I would change is to add the bright -yellow, red, white & blue- African-printed pillow into the room next to it. I think the room could have used a little more color and the print would have definitely done the room some justice! What are your opinions?

I totally wanna wear that top and skirt that the model is wearing! It's so couture and shows off her shape in such a classy way. I added in the piece of jewelry (bracelet) because I think it would complete the outfit nicely.

I wanted to share some of the music I'm loving right now...Hope you like it too!!

Thanks for popping by!

With gratitude,
Safiya Jamila

Photo Credit: Pinterest Board- African Inspired
Video Credit: Youtube- Kukere