Awesome Sustainable Design with the use of Shipping Containers

Hey Everyone!

So in addition to all the fun reality shows I like to watch during the week (most Bravo Channel shows lol), when I'm on overload from all the drama I always find myself scrolling up the cable guide and land on either The History Channel, H2 or DiscoveryHD. The other day I found myself watching an interesting documentary called Earth 2100 ,but for the life of me I can't recall which one of the channels it was on. Anyways.....the documentary really drew me in because it showed sort of a real-life way of what the world would be like if we continue down the environmental destructive path that we are all on.

**P.S I'm definitely not a saint when it comes to doing daily recycling, using hybrid cars, and all the other remedies which help save the earth, but after watching the documentary it's kinda hard not to rethink my actions.

So as the law of attraction would have it, I was speaking to my friend GM via Skype last night and she works for the Heroes Foundation in Trinidad & Tobago and I was super excited when she was telling me about a Sustainable Housing Initiative that the foundation has been dabbling on. I immediately asked "oohhhh....are they gonna use shipping containers too?!!!" I was all the way in with it because I had done a design concept for a shipping container previously; although it was a community centre and not a housing unit I still found a way to push the idea of shipping containers on her lol.

Below are some of the design concepts for the community centre which was made out of shipping containers. I wanted the Centre to be fun for kids so they can have a place to go after school, and I included a Steelpan room (**steelpan is the national instrument of Trinidad & Tobago**) because I envision the project being built in Trinidad one day.

Enjoy : )

Exterior View of Community Centre constructed from Shipping Containers

View from behind the Reception Desk w/Children's Art Gallery upon entry

Music/Steelpan Room for kids and adults to enjoy

Infant Reading/TV Area w/Custom (Pencil) Seating & Custom Building-Block Lighting 

Hope you like the bright colours and overall concept for the building interiors. Don't forget to comment and tell me what you think!!


Safiya Jamila 
: )