Design 101: Designing a Small Apartment


New York City. As some of you may know, I'm currently in NY designing a chic, small apartment in the city. My client (and her friends) are not too fond of color, and I think working with a designer overall has been tough because my client is now figuring out what she likes and what her decor style should be. The most difficult part of the process for me has been the selection of colors and furnishings because my client frequently changes her mind. As my first small scale residential design project with a very picky client, it has been quite the task, but I'm learning a lot from this experience and I'm so thankful to be branching out into new areas all while doing what I enjoy.
Here's some tip-spiration:

  • Multi-task. Always choose furnishings that have more than one function. In the design that I'm working on, I ordered an ottoman for the living room that serves as a coffee table, storage box and a place to put your feet on movie night!

  • Mirrors. Mirrors or mirrored objects bounce light around small spaces and create the illusion of a larger space. For my current project, instead of using mirrors on the wall like typical designs, I've brought in a mirrored TV console and I also want to use mirrored picture frames on the walls.

  • Layer. Create depth to the room by adding a large sofa with small accents such as side tables and side chairs. Make sure that the side tables have a cool pattern on them and the side chairs can be in a simple linen fabric, but can be layered with fun throw pillows. **Pillows are easier tho change out in small spaces.

  • Paint. Use lots of variations of white throughout the design, but don't be afraid to bring in a dark color or wallpaper if the room has a lot of light coming in.  

Once the project is done in three weeks, I'll get to show off the "before & after" images. Always so excited for the end product!